Thursday, February 24, 2005

The many uses of the ziplock bag

I lost my first bird yesterday. A pigeon came in with a broken leg. This sort of thing isn't uncommon and many survive in wild just fine with only one leg. I don't mind splinting broken bones, but this leg was different... it was turned in the wrong direction, a completely different color, and the bones were stacked up on each other. The poor bird was trembling with pain and I did all I could not to pass out. All I could think of was my brother talking me thru this medical experience as I do with him and his blood draws. We ended up giving the bird a shot of pain meds in its keel and wrapping up the leg with vet tape and popsicle sticks. As I placed it on a comfy t-shirt, I noticed blood coming out of its beak. I don't think that's a good sign. Half an hour later, I give some seed and water in case it feels up to eating. An hour later, its head is down on the t-shirt. I give it another hour, but it's still in the same position. Not a good sign for sure. When picked up, it was as stiff as a board. So I fill out the appropriate paperwork and place the pigeon into a ziplock freezer bag. Unwilling to accept defeat, I stared at its chest to see if its moving. Nothing. I zipped it up and walked towards the freezer. It feels so so strange to place a warm body in a freezer. I felt like I was killing it myself. I triple checked the bird again, made sure that yellow and blue made green, gently laid it near a seagull popsicle and closed the freezer door.

Death is the one thing that kept me away for all these years. I somehow become attached so quickly. I hate that part of my job. But, I would hate it more if it didn't bother me at all.

1 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

You're one of the good ones, Marlene.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home